This page has the links to my poetry and songs, most of which concern dogs.
Some would say my verse is mostly "doggerel".
go direct to the menu for site sections
VERSE (songs and Poetry)
My verses and lyrics can be considered as parodies of the originals to which they refer. A few of my verses are completely originally mine and these can be distinguished by their low quality. I also include some excellent poetry by well known authors.
I am starting to add music via MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) music files to those verses that are based on songs. MIDI files will play on most computers that have QuickTime (or QuickTime for Windows) installed.. If you are using Internet Explorer, you will probably have to install or activate "ActiveX" in order to play MIDI or to view movies.
- verse about dogs (listed alphabetically)
- Basenji limericks
- "Bingo's Song" (humorous song about coprophagia)
- Bite the Bad Guys, Bouvier ! (song about protection sports)
- Boatswain's monument verse. This is a longer and less well known memorial verse by Byron to his Newfoundland "Boatswain".
- Bones' Epitaph, a Cyranoesque epitaph in French and English.
- Bouviers are Bearish (song)
- A Bouvie is a Girl's Best Friend (song) ; MIDI music track added. Verses for "Diamond", a rescued Bouvier with allergies added.
- The Bouv is my Shepherd (psalm)
- The Bouvier of my Boudoir (song about my beloved Chelsea and precious Bones), with MIDI music added
- The Bouv Pretender (song about a not-quite-Bouv facing death at the Pound), with MIDI added. This song is a plea for the life of this dog
- Bouvier Requiem (a love song about euthanasia)
- Ceremony for Dying , by Ursula LeGuin , ceremonial verse for euthanasia.
- Chelsea's Epitaph
- The Dirty Bouvier Song (song to tune of "BattleHymn of theRepublic") ; this is one of the first songs I ever wrote about Bouviers. (It may also be the first to celebrate Bouvier flatulence.)
- The Dirty Bouvier at the Working Trial (song)
- The Dogs Mourn a Rescuer , verse I wrote a few years back, has been used at a local rescue person's memorial services.
- Expectations, the Pythagorean Bouvier Contemplates Death , a song about reincarnation
- Fass Fiercely , Bouvie ! (a fight song for Schutzhund)
- Fifty Ways to Run a Dog Trial (song to tune of Simon and Garfunkel's Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover), MIDI added.
- Fox, the Wicked Queensland, a song about my adored (and wicked) Queensland Heeler bitch, Fox. I have added a MIDI karaoke file that includes a bit of added verse.
- Gathering (a herding song)
- Grover's Elegy , written a year after his death
- Haiku on Toys , verse about dogs and stuffed toys.
- Hark, the Schutzhund Bouvie's Revier !
- The Heart asks Pleasure first, by Emily Dickenson , which speaks eloquently about end of life issues ; highly relevant to euthanasia.
- He Loves Ewes, Baa, Baa, Baa (song about herding sheep)
- He Told Me This, by T Yamamoto. a poem about herding dogs and a trainer's learning of humility.
- "The House Dog's Grave" by Robinson Jeffers
- "How to Handel a TDX" (photo and verse )
- I am the Owner of a Bouvier (bragging about one's dog) MIDI added.
- I Am The Very Model of a Modern Veterinarian, a song, not to be taken seriously.
- If I were Ruler of the A.K.C. (how the AKC ought to regulate dog breeding if they really cared about "the usefulness of the purebred dog to man")
- I Found a Bouvier (a rescue / adoption song)
- Funeral Oration for Caesar, a Giant Schnauzer
- Little Bo Peep, some advice
- The New York City Rat Song (a modest suggestion for solving New York city's plague of fifty million rats)
- Oh What A Fine Tracking Morning ! (song about TDX Tracking tests)
- Old Mother Midge (nursery rhyme for dog people)
- Piola's Song : the peaceful end of life , about the difficulty of making that dreaded decision .
- A Prayer for My Dog (hymn to a terminally ill dog)
- Princess's epitaph and prayer for the dying.
- Rebuttal to Kipling (The Power of a Dog) (poem)
- Return of the Bouvie (a Star Wars song)
- Shaggy Dog of Flanders (song about the Bouvier's origens)
- Some Enchanted Morning (verse about puppy rearing)
- Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening (verse about a dog who won't come when called and the passerby who tries to rescue him).
- Super Decoy (song about the dangers and difficulties of being an agitator in French Ring Sport) with MIDI track and link to MP3 of Super Skier.
- Still Miss You After All These Years (song to a beloved deceased dog)
- That's Why The Lady Is A Bitch, song to tune of That's Why The Lady Is A Tramp. with MIDI music.
- There is Nothing Like a Bouv ! song about breed character
- They Asked Me Could I Prove (this pound dog was a Bouv), song about challenges of breed identification at the pound. this song is not yet finished, but I don't know when I will complete it. with a MIDI track.
- "Three Ancient Bouvier Are We"
- A Verse Well Donne (canine mysteries)
- We (dog lovers) Will All Go Together When We Go (song about Total Nuclear Annihilation, based on the Tom Lehrer classic "We Will All Go Together WhenWe Go". WARNING : may offend most people's sensibilities!)
- When Earth's Last Dog Trial is Over (verse, inspired by Kipling)
- When I'm Eighty-Four (song about aging with dogs)
- When It Was Earthquake Time (song about Search and Rescue. WARNING : may offend some people's sensibilities)
go back to contents
- verse about everything else
- A Genius Lot is Not an Easy One , a song
- Wheel of Fortune song
- America the Once-Beautiful (song about pollution and overpopulation)
- The Ballad of Mac and DOS (a computer verse)
- to the Belle of Amhurst, a verse for Emily Dickenson
- Dr Robertson, a song for Dr Jyothi Vinnakota Robertson DVM, graduate of the residency program in Shelter Medicine at U C Davis. with MIDI track.
- "The Destruction of Alice Grey" , a song I wrote in 1966 about women in science.
- Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover (or Husband), the women's version of the Simon & Garfunkel classic.
- Fifty Ways to Wrap a Feline, song about low stress handling veterinary techniques for cats , specifically describing the "half burrito wrap"
- "500 Miles" ("If You Missle the Plane I'm On"), song lyrics I wrote in 1963 when global thermonuclear war was a feared possibility. Perhaps relevant again in 2017
- Hoofbeats and Dust, verse about lying awake remembering my long ago horse, remembering my youth.
- I'm Hoping for a Wet Winter, after two preceeding drought years
- Let It Rain, Let It Rain, Let It Rain (a California Christmass song)
- Poor Jobs is Dead, a heroic dirge and epitaph for Steve Jobs (2/24/1955 - 10/10/2011) and his identification with Apple and the Macintosh.
- Post-Election Songs, two song verses mourning the outcome of the 2016 election, plus image of some of the campaign buttons I made.
- Macintosh / Photoshop
- Make It Right (an inspirational song)
- For Mom, Between Worlds, written by my brother Mark as our mother was peacefully dying.
- A Narrow Fellow in the Grass, a tribute to my "house-snake" , somewhat inspired by Emily Dickenson
- On Profanity (why I hardly ever use it)
- "O Southwest Wind" , a short verse in tribute to the "Delta breeze", a much appreciated climate feature in the area south of Davis, CA.
- Overdue Baby Lullabye (song for the last weeks of pregnancy, human version)
- Pegasus (song ; the fabled winged stallion as Buddy Holley would have written it)
- Peggy and Sue Got Married, an updating of a Buddy Holly classic in light of the Supreme Court's rulings on DOMA and California Prop 8.
- She'll Always Be My Nominee, a song for Hillary.
- Sister Sarah Updated (updated folk song for women ) with MIDI added
- A Spider , Yellow, fat, and Round (inspired by one by Robert Frost)
- This Old Man, a song for Winston Churchill
- Tyger, Tyger short verse
- Undangling Conversation, based on Simon's Dangling Conversation and my imaginary portrait of the home life of a couple I value as friends.
- What can a woman do as well as a man ? a little song, added the evening before a most HERstoric Election Day.
- The Web Weaver's Song (reversal on a folk song) with MIDI added
- We (dog lovers) Will All Go Together When We Go (song about Total Nuclear Annihilation, based on the Tom Lehrer classic "We Will All Go Together WhenWe Go". WARNING : may offend most people's sensibilities!) MIDI added.
- We Will All Go More Slowly When We Go, an update to Tom Lehrer's "We Will All Go Together When We Go" (contemplating global nuclear annihilation). I now contemplate a slower extinction from global eco-catastrophe.
go back to contents
- songs by others
go back to contents
go back to contents
go back to contents