Crazy Pam's Bouvier Website
bids you FAREWELL
links to other sites of interest
This page contains links to other Bouvier sites , to some veterinary sites, behavior sites, and other sites of interest to dog caretakers, as well as a link to my front page in case you want to go back to bookmark that page. I hope you enjoyed your visit and encourage you to come back soon.
Good Bye, Shalom,
Au 'voir, Auf Wiedersehn,
Please come back soon again !
other Bouvier sites
rescue / shelter /welfare
product / service
hard to classify
(in no particular order, except that individual sites are at top and organizatonal sites at bottom )
back to contents
- Len Gaska's site (rich in info and especially rescue resources, adopter resources, links to other bouv sites , other dog sites. vet sites) : http://www.bouviers.net and (the older version : granddaddy of all Bouv sites) http://ra.nilenet.com/~gaska/bouvier.html
- Jan Rifkinson's site (very rich in info and links to other sites) : http://www.bogartsdaddy.com/bouvier/default.html
- Alan Arfin's site (originated to prevent the movie "Dog of Flanders' from doing to the Bouvier what "101 Dalmations" did to the Dalmation) : http://www.bouvdogofflanders.com
- Glenda Skrybalo's site : http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/3215/
- Kevin Moyer's Bouvweb site (many links to further sites) : http://home.sprynet.com/~bouvweb/index.html
- Kareen Carruther's Bears Den : http://www.mscomm.com/~kareen/, which is not up to date , and her new site http://www.hyacinthbouviers.com, which is very nice.
- Judy Singer's site, starring Milo : http://www.abrigon.com/desertmilo/urbanshelters.milo.htm , see especially "Want a Milo, Bouvier des Flanders?" at http://www.abrigon.com/desertmilo/urbanshelters.milo10.htm
- Bouvier Befrienders of Michigan (a rescue organization) : http://www.bouvierbefrienders.org/
- Southern California Bouvier Des Flandres Club (includes rescue pages) : http://www.scbdfc.com
- Bouvier Club of Northern California (fairly new site, mostly under construction) : http://www.bcnc.info/>http://www.bcnc.info/
- American Bouvier des Flandres Club (national club USA) : http://www.bouvier.org
- American Bouvier Rescue League (the national rescue coordination , a branch of the ABDFC ) : http://www.abrl.org
- North American Working Bouvier Association : http:// www.bouvdogofflanders/nawba.htm and (tends to load slowly) http://www.nawba.org
- Bouvier Health Foundation site : http://www.bouvierhealthfoundation.org
- Carla Shown's Bouvier Health page (see also the rest of her site; loads slowly but worth the wait) : http://www.moonstruckmeadows.com/health.html
- an Australian site : http://www.petnet.com.au/dogs/D114.html
- a French site (in english) : http://www.caporal.claranet.fr/theBouvierdesFlandres.html
- Bouvier des Flandres picture gallery : http://users.skynet.be/bergbos/picture.htm
- The Bouvier des Flandres Museum of America : http://www.Bell21.com/bouvier/
(see also behavior services at the veterinary sites below)
back to contents
- Dr Myrna Milani, DVM site : http://www.mmilani.com dog and cat veterinary behaviorist, especially concerned with interactions between dog behavior and misbehavior issues, physiology and medical issues, and dog - human relationship and leadership issues.
- Dr Patricia McConnell PhD site : http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com dog behaviorist with wide experience in problem solving with special expertise on human non-verbal commuication with dogs, how our heritage as immature primates interacts with dogs' heritage as immature wolves.
- the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists website at http://www.dacvb.net/ lists board certified veterinary behaviorists. A veterinary behaviorist is often your best choice for help with a serious behavior problem.
- the Animal Behavior Society Web Site at http://www.cisab.indiana.edu/ABS/index.html and also at http://www.animalbehavior.org . To find a certified behaviorist, see the Animal Behavior Society Program for Certification of Applied Animal
Behaviorists http://www.animalbehavior.org/Applied/abspamplet.html, and list of members at http://www.cisab.indiana.edu/ABS/Member/index.html.
- Denver Dumb Friends League behavior tips , http://www.ddfl.org/tips.htm, a large number of short articles on various behavior problems and problem prevention. Covers dogs, cats, and some other pet species; has a number of Spanish language articles as well. (The "dumb" means "non-speaking" , NOT "stupid" ; "dumb friends" is a really old fashioned term for domestic animals.)
(this list is terribly incomplete)
back to contents
- general vet or health info :
- Cancer :http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CCAH/newsletter.cfm , a very clearly written discussion of cancer in dogs.
- Kidney Disease in Dogs website: symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, management
(medical and dietary), recipes, breed specific renal diseases, genetics,
current research, bibliography and abstracts
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Opera/2167/ or Canine Renal Disease Website: mirror site of above
- http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/grapeandraisin.htm describes dangers of grapes and raisins as potentially deadly to dogs. this is a first person report from the owner of one of the earliest victims and the first to be necropsied, giving the first confirmation that proximate cause of death is kidney failure.
- http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/salmon.asp Part of the Washington State University Vet School site. Gives information on "fish poisoning" which is a danger in the Pacific Northwest : dogs can get very sick and die from eating even a speck of fish if the fish is infested with a particular parisitic fluke that is infected with a rickettsial organism.
- http://www.gsdhelpline.com/orphan.htm It has info on feeding and caring for orphaned puppies.
Here is the site for a new canine longevity study at Michigan State
- website for the Canine Inherited Disorders Database. http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/intro.htm
- http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/ database of dogs in participating breeds (including Bouvier) who have had various tests for heritable health problems CHIC also coordinates DNA collection and repositories for these breeds. This is a program sponsored jointly by AKC and OFA. Site enables you to verify information for an individual dog and that dog's sire , dam, siblings, and other collateral relatives.
- http://www.vasg.org/chronic_pain_management.htm : a veterinary article about drugs for management of chronic pain.
- University of California at Davis :
- Colorado State University :
- more veterinary organizations
links to other useful dog-oriented sites
misclellaneous useful dog-related sites in no particular order
(listing of product or service sites is NOT an endorsement of same)
back to contents
- rescue or shelter or dog welfare issues oriented sites:
- http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/breedersvsrescues.htm : a heartfelt plea for people to make a lifetime commitment to any pet they obtain, rather than dispose of it at the pound, where it is more likely to be killed than adopted.
- http://www.petrescue.com/library/free-pet.htm : cogent and heartfelt plea never to offer a dog (or any other animal) "free to a good home", with descriptions of some of the atrocious fates that can await the giveaway pet. The petrescue.com site has many excellent articles, such as http://www.petrescue.com/library/untrained-dog.htm and http://www.petrescue.com/library/start-rescue.htm
- http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehomelesspets/pdf/howtofindhomesforpets.pdf : download Acrobat pdf file "How to Find Homes for Pets".
- http://www.petrescue.com/library/dog-phone-screen.pdf : a form and guidelines to help rescue people do telephone interviews with potential adopters.
- http://www.cashelterfriends.org : California Shelter Friends , a non-profit organization devoted to rescuing and providing vet care for abandoned animals at risk of euthanasia at shelters and vet practices due to illness, injury, pregnancy, neo-natals, etc. Organized by a vet, Dr Cindy Delany DVM. Located in Woodland , Ca, a few miles from Sacramento and likewise from the UC Davis Vet School.
- http://www.rescuevet.com : Dr Cindy Delany's site, companion site to that for California Shelter Friends.
- http://www.sspca.org/ : site for the Sacramento , California SPCA, an excellent shelter with good adoption counselling and good adoption rate, thus a low kill rate.
- http://saccityshelter.com : site for the Sacramento City Animal Control, an overburdened shelter with a high kill rate.
- Friends of Sac City Shelter Animals Inc.: a group helping to place animals out of the Sacramento City Animal Control.
- http://www.pet-abuse.com/: site concerning pet abuse. This is NOT a fun site to visit, as it contains news stories of horrifying cases of abuse. However it also contains some very useful tools for those fighting against animal abuse, and it includes a database of convicted abusers that shelters and rescuers can use to screen potential adopters. http://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/cruelty_laws.php is a chart of cruelty laws by state.
- http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehomelesspets/resourcelibrary/onepersonindex.cfm : a starting guide for what one person can do individually to help homeless pets and help reduce animal abuse. Includes advice on fostering, advice on encouraging spay / neuter, and other useful informaton. You may need to change text color in your browser Preferences in order to make page easier to read.
- http://www.hart4dogs.org/BRL.zip : H.A.R.T. Muttmatcher's list of rescue groups for dogs, cats, other species.
back to contents
- product or service oriented sites :
(note : I am NOT endorsing any of these products and services as I have not actually used most of them. I list ones that sound like they should be useful.)
- http://www.handicappedpets.com/ : an excellent site offering a variety of products for pets with various handicaps.
- http://www.k-9orthotics.com/products.html : designer and manufacturer of support products to aid in rehabilitation from injuries or to make the pet safer or more mobile despite a handicap ; they work with your vet to design and adjust the product. There is another certified orthotics supplier in Sacramento, CA and one in Reno, NV , both of whom have worked with the Physical Rehabi unit at the UC Davis VMTH. Orthotics and Physical Therapy/Rehabilitation are a growing field in veterinary medicine.
- http://www.geocities.com/doggie_essentials/and_more : site selling dog "bellybands" , a garment for incontinent or indoor "marking" male dogs.
- http://www.dogleggs.com/pages/products.cfm : site selling protective leg covers, helpful for dogs with injuries or sores.
- http://www.doggon.com/home.html wheelchairs for dogs and information on paralyzed dogs.
- http://www.abledogs.net/ :
ABLEDOGS (formerly ABLEDOX) is an E-Mail group for people who are owned by disabled animals.
- http://www.neutersol.com/ injectable male sterilant
- http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/Northland Both slings and stretchers are offered by the Northland Newfoundland Club to benefit their rescue activities so benefits a good cause as well.
- Storm Defender anti-static cape : intended to help thunderstorm shy dogs remain calm, based on Ian Dunbar's findings that for some dogs static electricity seems to play a role in storm fear.
- http:// www.24Petwatch.com : site offering (for an annual fee) to store your pet identification and veterinary records for you so they can be accessed if your lost microchipped pet is found and brought to a vet.
- Halemar : source of greyhound and whippet products, including blankets and muzzles. Another source is Dressler . for help in determining muzzle sizes see the National Greyhound Association query page.
- http://snugglesafe.co.uk/heatpad.htm : a device to provide long-lasting moderate warmth to animals (including humans) ; very popular with veterinarians. This disc looks like a frisbee on steroids : about the diameter of a frisbee and about half an inch thick. You nuke it in the microwave for about 5 minutes (depending on wattage of the microwave, it could be more or less) and it will give off heat for over 8 hours. Nuke it a shorter time for shorter period of heat production. Put it under your jacket to warm your torso or under a towel or inside bedding to warm a dog or cat. (Note : I have used this product and I love it !) For sources, ask your vet or ask at pet supply stores.
back to contents
- more general sites
- http://www.petloss.com/ , a wonderful site for those mourning a pet. Some good advice articles , list of helpful books, heartfelt poetry , and opportunities to participate in a chat room and a regularly scheduled candle ceremony.
- PetsIncredible Pet videos : has a number of very useful videos on dogs and cats, especially helpful to adopters, dealing with behavior and adjustment issues.
- http://www.avma.org/disaster/saving_family.asp : to download Acrobat pdf file "Saving the Whole Family" about being prepared so you can evacuate WITH your pets during a disaster.
back to contents
- hard to classify sites
- http://www.miss-beazley.org/ : this site is just plain wicked political fun , allowing you to play the game "Educating Ms Beazley", a game much like the venerable PacMan game, but with White House puppy Ms Beazley pursuing and biting an assortment of prominent Democrats and Liberals and other arch-enemies of the current White House Incumbrance. (Warning : the rest of the parent site could be very distressing to hard core conservative Republicans.)
(Update : this link went dead after Bush left office. I have not tried to find out if anyone has created a Bo Obama game.)
On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog.
(The above cartoon is based on one by Peter Steiner, which appeared in The New Yorker collection 1993 ; see www.cartoonbank.com.)
- My "du Clos de la FouriĀre" ("from the enclosure of the animal pound") Rescue, for Bouviers, Bouvier crosses, and Bouvier "pretenders", is now on Petfinder.com at http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/CA899.html. I joined Petfinder to get needed extra exposure for those dogs who are not purebred Bouviers and thus are excluded from the Bouvier Club of Northern California's rescue program.