How to Participate in Dog Rescue
Many people assume that "doing rescue" means being a foster home.There are many other less arduous jobs that need to be done in any Rescue effort. My "participation questionnaire" is a list of ways that people can contribute to a group rescue effort. If enough people will each volunteer to do the parts they are able to do, and if the rescue coordinator keeps such info in a file or database so when a job needs to be done the coordinator can call on these people to go do it, then collectively our community can save a lot more dogs and do so with a lot less stress and overload on any one or a few persons.
Rescue Participation Questionaire
In the interests of increasing the rescue labor pool, I am going to do a series on "Rescue how to" ie how to do various aspects of rescue. Now most of it is based on my own experience and what has worked well or poorly for me plus experiences recounted to me by others. So these are NOT the only way to do things. I encourage others with experience to contribute alternative ways or to comment on advantages and disadvantages of various procedures.
For the first episode , I'd like to offer my "participation questionnaire" which is a list of ways that people can contribute to a group rescue effort. If enough people will each volunteer to do the parts they are able to do, and if the rescue coordinator keeps such info in a file or database so when a job needs to be done the coordinator can call on these people to go do it, then collectively our community can save a lot more dogs and do so with a lot less stress and overload on any one or a few persons.
As you read this list below, you will see that almost every person has the ability to do SOMETHING for Bouvier Rescue. Its better to do a little than to do nothing. Whatever you can do could be that crucial act that enables Rescue to save a dog's life. (Although this is writen in terms of Bouviers, almost everything applies to any other breed or to mixed breed rescue.)
To all who would like to assist in saving Bouvier lives, here is a checklist of ways in which you might be able to help. Just put "yes" , "maybe" , or "maybe later" wherever it applies. Fill in the blanks where appropriate. (You will probably want to print out this list and include input from other human family members.)
- *RESPOND to calls from POUND / SHELTER within ____ miles of my home. ( I am usually able to go on : Mon, Tues, Wed, Th, Fri, Sat, Sun , AM , PM, either)
- ______ go to Pound to identify whether dog is a Bouv or something else ( eg Giant Schnauzer, Briard, Old English).
- ______ if dog is Bouv or Bouv cross, bail him out , and hold him few hours or few days until Rescue can arrange board or fostering
- ______ if dog is Bouv, bail him out , then transport to designated foster home or boarding kennel (or vet if sick/injured)
- ______ if dog is not Bouv, make phone calls to appropriate Rescue for whatever breed dog really is.
- *VISIT my local POUND / SHELTER to search for Bouvs ; this would be the ________________________________ facility at __________ intervals.
- ______ notify Rescue if Bouv present & file "interest form" for Rescue
- ______ bail the dog out and hold for Rescue to come get
- ______ bail dog out and transport to foster, boarding, etc
- *GROOM/CLIP DOWN & BATHE newly rescued Bouvs
- ____ moderately matted/filthy
- ____ dreadfully matted/filthy
- ____ cooperative dogs
- ____ uncooperative
- *FOSTER rescued Bouvier in my home or kennel run (or other area)
- ______ few days _____ several weeks _____ several months
- ______ male only _____ female only _____ either sex OK
- ______ adult only _____ puppy or teen ______ geriatric _____ any age
- ______ healthy ____ injured ____ sick
- ______ inside house (full / part-time) _____ kennel run (or other separate area) only
- ______ can housebreak & teach good house dog manners
- ______ can do basic obedience training (come , down, stay , heel)
- ______ can do problem solving / rehab for behavior problems
- ______ can do supportive health care for dogs who are ill or injured
- ______ can NOT foster , but could if (fill in conditions needed to enable you to foster) : __________________________________________
- *help to INTERVIEW & EDUCATE prospective ADOPTERS
- ______ talk to potential adopters on the phone, tell them about Bouvs,
answer questions, listen to them, take notes & report back.
- ______ invite potential adopters to my home to meet my own Bouvs,
then interview & educate (same as for phone)
- ______ take my own Bouv to potential adopter's home , interview & educate, and while there discretely evaluate home & fencing, take notes.
- *miscellaneous TRANSPORTATION of dogs : max distance = ______ miles
- ______ take dog from foster to vet & back, to groomer & back, etc
- ______ transport dog from board/foster to adopter
- ______ transport dog from adopter back to Rescue if adoption fails
- ______ I am frequent flyer, flight attendant or pilot; could take dog
- ______ I often drive long distances and could take dog
- *PUBLICITY for dogs available for adoption
- ______ post notices about dogs available at local vets, groomers, etc
- ______ post notices to ___________ on-line services (AOL, Genie, etc)
- ______ handle Internet correspondences for rescuers/fosterers
(ie for those who are not yet on Internet)
- ______ photocopy and mail info about dogs available to our mailing list of potential adopters
- ______ phone those on list of potential adopters to inform them of dogs newly available and to ask if they are still seeking a Bouv.
- *CONTRIBUTIONS to help others do rescue and foster care
- ______ can contribute equipment (eg crate , kennel run, grooming equipment, training equipment) , specifically _____________________
- ______ can contribute money (to help pay Pound fees, spay/neuter & other vet costs, board bills, purchase of equipment needed by fosterers)
- $_______ at intervals = __________ (eg monthly, yearly)
- $_______ now
- $_______ at later time = _________ (specify)
my name, address, and other info
- name ______________________________________
- address _____________________________________
- phone number(s) ________________________________
- e-mail address ________________________________
- my own dogs are (give Breed, age, sex & spay/neuter status -- and attitude towards other dogs of same sex and opposite sex) :
- my cats are (indoor / outdoor, clawed / declawed, bold / timid re dogs) :
- my children / grandchildren (if frequently present) are (ages , sexes, how dog-wise?) :
Please fill out form and send (print out and mailed or by e-mail) to your local rescue chairperson or coordinator.